Monday, September 30, 2013

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step – Which Step Will You Choose?

September 30, 2013

You KNOW you need to change something to defeat insulin resistance and get your blood sugar under control.  What was the first “something” that came to your mind when you read that sentence?  For me it was exercise.  It doesn’t have to be formalized, e.g. I don’t need to go to the gym or even get out a DVD.  I just need to start moving a certain amount (more than I have been) on a consistent basis.  That’s it for now.  We’re talking about a first step here, so all I need to do now is start moving consistently more than I have been.  Once that is an established habit, I can choose my next step.

How about you?  What are you going to choose as your first step?  Is it something you need to stop doing, like maybe eliminating a specific snack food, or stop staying up so late?  Is it something you need to start doing, like reading labels so you can make better food choices, or using a smaller dinner plate and filling it only once?

There are so many things that can be a first step on that journey to better health.  Notice that the first step doesn’t have to be a big one, but it can give you a feeling of victory that will help you take the next little step, and so on.  It does get easier once you have some victories, but you may get stuck from time to time, or even backslide.  That’s why we have support groups!

The next support meeting at my Walnut Creek office is Tuesday, October 8, 2013.  If you are in the area, please join us.  We all need support when making a lifestyle change, and this is a chance to meet other people who are on that same journey.  You don’t have to walk alone.


For those who are too far away, a discussion group would be helpful.  Weight Loss & Insulin Resistance is my facebook page for this topic.  If people are interested, I can start a closed group for privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment